Sunday, November 2, 2014

A632.2.3RB_SeabournBeau


 Each time that I can watch Sheena Iyengar, I can honestly say that I learn something. Unlike other presentations I've seen, she has a real way of presenting her data and her information. To begin, she mentions four areas that can help us make choosing a better experience. They are, cut, concertize (concrete), categorize, and condition for complexity. Each one was interesting to learn about this week and I now have a better understanding of how each one can play it's own part in the marketplace.

The first implication I wanted to touch on was the cut aspect. Like she stated, people do not know what to do with themselves when their choices are taken from them. I personally believe that as a society, we want as many choices as possible. Taking what she said into consideration, people don't want there to be less choice even though it would help them in the everyday application of things. When I'm shopping at out local supermarket (Woodmans), I find that my wife and I laugh about how long it takes us to find things and then to decide on what brand to buy. Like Sheena mentions, we have to many choices and it actually makes our buying experience less enjoyable. I doubt the retailers wants to loose customers over their frustration and annoyance. I could see how having less decisions to make in a organizational role could be beneficial to the overall success of the company. You wouldn't want one employee to have to make a lot of minute decisions and have a million options when doing so. In my decision making processes, I like to find the factual information and make an informed choice, limiting any emotional input. So to be able to cut down the information to what is actually factual saves me time and effort in most matters.

The second topic I wanted to focus on is complexity. I feel that every time I have a transaction these days, there is some type pf catch, mail in rebate, little writing, or something we all miss. I'm sure that it has something to do with getting people through the door and then getting them to commit to buying but when did buying get so complex? Like Sheena said, we should try and limit the amount of complex choices we make our shoppers make. If we were able to do that at an organizational level, wouldn't customer have a better time in our store, dealing with us, or remembering how easy we were to work with? As for me, I find it exhausting to have to make complex choices all the time. I just had to deal with picking a TV provider and then choosing between a hundred programming options. Why is TV so hard to set up? Maybe they should look into that so they don't loose a lot of consumers!

I think that I can better my decision making my trying to stick to my moral and religious inputs. Sometimes we are persuaded by secondary influences that are impulsive or less researched. IT is important to me that I don't worry about what other people are doing and to concentrate on what is important for me, my family, and my career. Sometimes we let that get away from us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment