Sunday, November 16, 2014

A632.4.5RB_SeabournBeau

This week I found myself learning things that I hadn't know before but yet I did know. The things talked about this week are things we tend to do in negotiations to gain an edge are things we either do without thinking or we do because we were trained to do. I actually found this week to be very interesting and informing. For the assignment this week, we need to name four ways to evaluate information during negotiations. The ones I chose are as follows:

1) Establish trust – Like a lot of the learning we have done in our graduate programs, trust is something that can make or break a negotiation. It is the job of the seller to make sure that anyone they are trying to sell to is aware that they are not there to lie to them. When the seller does this, there is less of a chance of things going wrong or people not wanting to work with you any longer.

2) Ask direct Questions – In this process, you want to make sure that you are gathering information as carefully and as informative as possible. In a negotiation, the seller wants to ask direct questions and so does the buyer. In each case, there is something to be gained by being truthful. Fewer things are likely to go wrong. This can be linked to point one, trust.

3) Listen Carefully – In some cases, there are people that present false information or try to sell something without actually knowing the buyers needs or knowing the actual product they’re selling. In a buying situation, you want to make sure you are each relating to one another and listening to what each one of you wants. This could allow you to come to a gainful sale and a sale where both parties are happy with the outcome.

4) Keep records and get things in writing – It is very important to keep records of each transaction and the promises that are made during the negotiation process. In some cases, there is a breakdown in gathering this information, leading to a party not being satisfied with an outcome.

My Example – I can relate to the keep records and get things in writing example. Last January, my wife and I bought our first home. During the move we realized that we were moving to a place where internet access was not going to be available. We called a large, well known satellite company and spoke with the representative. This person basically promised me the world along with a bunch of gift cards and promotions for signing up. When the service came, not only was half of the things she told me incorrect, but they didn't even offer some of the services I needed. Needless to say, I did not get anything in writing. What is funny is that “their calls are recorded for quality control”. Obviously that is not the case because no one there believed my story, because the promises were so outrageous, I guess?

No comments:

Post a Comment