Sunday, December 7, 2014

A632.7.4RB_SeabournBeau

For this week, I want to share the situation that lead to a decision making process. As my time in the Navy was nearing an end (4 1/2 years in), I began to contemplate what my options moving forward would be. Would I elect to stay in or would I move on and seek employment as a civilian? As I thought about this more and more, I thought it would be good to seek outside input (stakeholders). I thought that by bringing these other people and their opinions on board, I would feel more comfortable with the end result. If everyone was in agreement, how could anyone one party be upset if things were done how we had discussed. It came down to my family and the girl I was dating at the time's input but ultimately the decision was mine to make. The secondary influences was the command I was at in the Navy and the people there and how they thought about me. I only say that because had the people there tried a little harder, it wouldn't have made my choice to get out so easy. It was as if I didn't matter that much to the Navy (which is true, its very large and keep going without you). So when all was said and done, I separated and moved on into the civilian side of things.

Now if the people involved would have shared different opinions or observations with me, I would have not been so quick to make my decision. I actually made my decision a year in advance, that way I knew exactly what I was going to do and it ensured that I had enough time to get ready for the transition. The people involved, that helped me, were important people to me at that time, but they obviously have their own lives to think about and what I did with mine was for me to decide, not them. I question sometimes what would have happened the other way around.

Looking back at it now, I could have looked at a few things in a different light. I could have weighed the option of early retirement a little sooner and I could have looked at the free education I would continue to get and how that could have shaped by choices. I don't spend any time looking back and telling myself I made an error, because all of the choices I've made up until now have shaped who I am and what kind of a leader I am. I don't personally think there is anyone else who could have said anything to change the overall outcome. I made the choice and I moved in that direction full steam. Everything worked out for the best and I have the amazing life I have now. In the end, that decision making process showed me that I need to weigh the pros and cons in every situation before making a long term decision, that I need to trust the people around me, but ultimately that I need to trust my faith and my discretion above anything else. After all, it isn't up to anyone else to decide for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment