Friday, July 10, 2015

A634.6.3_SeabournBeau

According to the online test this week, I’m not to far off of what Benjamin Franklin’s program outlined. I think that is at least what the results showed. The results state “You're on the right path. Even though you made a few choices that didn't reflect Ben's plan for becoming more virtuous, overall you scored pretty well. Although Franklin gave up on his formal effort to be more virtuous, he devoted much of his life to self-improvement” (Franklin, 2015). The areas they think I should work on include: silence, resolution, and sincerity. As for my thoughts on the areas of improvement I need to work on personally, I chose silence, cleanliness, and sincerity.

I first chose silence, described as “speak not but what may benefit others or yourself. Avoid trifling conversation” (B. Franklin, 2015). I feel that I gossip to much, which plays into our class discussion this week also. I want to be able to be the quiet one in the room occasionally. I mostly feel as though I need to come in, control the room, and make sure everyone knows that I’m ready to be involved in anything I can be. I sometimes talk when I should listen and I think that prohibits my learning occasionally. I hate the quiet, it makes me feel uncomfortable.

The second one I chose was cleanliness. That is described as “tolerate no uncleanness in body, clothes, or habitation” (B. Franklin, 2015). I chose this because I am not one who wants to clean very often. I do it out of respect for my family now, when I was single and living alone, it was a lot easier to stay clean. I take this to also mean that we should keep our bodies clean, or in shape. It plays into the idea that we should care about ourselves and our things. I want to associate that to being grateful for what we have and not to waste what we have been blessed with. Currently, I lack in this department. It’ll be something to work on as I move up into management stages.

The last thing I chose was sincerity. It is describes as “use no hurtful deceit. Think innocently and justly; and if you speak, speak accordingly” (B. Franklin, 2015). Like I mentioned earlier, I like to gossip or get into to many details sometimes.  I prefer to have the inside scoop and then share that with everyone. That is a bad thing to do and it sometimes hurts me in the long run. I would like to improve upon staying on topic and only talking when I need to. That includes only sharing information about things or others when I absolutely have to.

It was interesting this week to see how I related to Benjamin Franklin’s virtues. I see some areas of improvement I need to make but I feel like I have a good application of compassion, understanding, and hard work. I find it increasingly difficult to work on my problem areas listed above but if I want to be the best leader I can, I need to try as hard as I can to make sure I try my best. This was a good learning experience and a good tool to use.


References

Franklin, B. (2015, July 10). Retrieved July 10, 2015, from http://www.pbs.org/benfranklin/pop_virtues_list.html

Franklin, Benjamin (2015, July 10). Retrieved July 10, 2015, from http://www.pbs.org/benfranklin/exp_virtue_results.html?a=323234143333


No comments:

Post a Comment