Thursday, July 23, 2015

A634.8.3RB_SeabournBeau

Do citizens have a right to bear arms?

The age old question here; My simple response is "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed” (U.S. Constitution, 1776).

The required reading this week states “so our choice is not merely to support or oppose gun control, but to decide who can own which guns, under what conditions” (LaFollete, 2007). To that measure I would have to agree. My interpretation only applies to my beliefs in a free country in which I reside. What I mean is, I can understand the perspectives of other people living in other countries who may not believe in gun rights as much as I do. My gun right stance stems from the understanding that no matter what, people are ultimately responsible for defending the United States of America against all enemies, foreign or domestic. If we don’t have guns, how can we ensure that happens? With crooked politicians and liberal peace keeping? I think not! We have to be able to defend a secure what is ours. Now that can apply to any one person or to the country. The rights on man, given to us by our creator God, should not be regulated by man. This country was founded on God loving, gun carrying men. They day we give that right up, we sign our own death warrant.

Now the ethical debate here comes from who should be able or not able to have a gun. Examples include, mentally unstable, felons, and illegal aliens. There isn’t much ethical debate to me in these cases but non the less, the exist. In the last few weeks the President has issued remarks that would ban the gun ownership by people who receive government assistance like social security. The source states “the Obama administration wants to keep people collecting Social Security benefits from owning guns if it is determined they are unable to manage their own affairs” (New, 2015). This is the most outrageous thing I have ever heard. Maybe he should spend more time focusing on fixing the nations real problems instead of attacking gun owners all the time. That is another topic for another time.

Last, I feel as though everyone should have the right to protect themselves and their families. We cannot rely on other people to do things for us. I’ve heard it said that guns kill people. I don’t see cars being blamed when a drunk driver kills someone so how can they blame guns when someone shoots someone else? I think there should be little or no restrictions on a person at all in the way of government assistance and regulation. I feel as though this topic, however long we talk about it, can go on and on for days. I don’t understand how people feel as though guns are the cause of violence or wrong doing. It’s not the gun, it’s the person.


Reference

LaFollette, H. (2007). The practice of ethics. Malden, MA: Wiley-Blackwell

New Obama plan: Ban gun ownership for some Social Security recipients based on “incompetency” - Hot Air. (2015, July 20). Retrieved July 24, 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment