Saturday, August 15, 2015

A633.1.2RB_SeabournBeau

 Has your own attitude to leaders changed in your life, and if so how?

As I have gotten older, I find that my perception and attitude about leaders has changed. The first major change that I’ve come to realize has to do with trusting someone in a leadership right away. Generally speaking, there are reasons why people are in leadership roles and we trust that they are there for their competencies and qualifications. I joined the Navy right out of high school. After I completed my training and moved into the operating field, I was surrounded by “leaders” who were suppose to help guide me and who were at the facility to help complete the mission. What I found however is that not all of these people were actual leaders. I didn’t understand that at the time, I just assumed anyone who out ranked me was a leader. I know now as an adult and someone who has been through the leadership courses that these individuals lacked any real attributes of a leader. Our reading this week says it this way “leadership in any form cannot produce results without a context within which to exist” (Obolensky, 2014). So my major observation from then until now is that I am skeptical and analytical when it comes to who I assign the role “leader” to. Leaders now also have to prove to me that they are capable of leading me and not the other way around. I don’t want to take advice from someone who has less experience in a certain area than I do. I guess that is probably an annoyance to some people based on their age and their tenure.

If we take as a starting point the attitude to those in authority/leaders as held by your grandparents, and then look at those attitudes held by your parents, and then by you, and then the younger generation, is there a changing trend? If so, what is it?

I think that there is a changing trend. I think there have been a wide variety of changes to attitudes in leadership as generations have progressed. For instance, my grandparents lived in a much different economical time then we did. Those economical influences played a large part in why a leader might be the way they are. People set in an economy were jobs are sparse are more willing to work for leaders that they might not normally want to based on the opportunities available to them. As for the gap between my generation and the next one, I’m not sure there is that big of a gap. I’m sure people would argue that there may be one, but I feel as though the economic impacts, experiences and technology haven’t jumped as they had between my parent’s generation and mine. I think the trend has to be the work ethic changing from manual, hard labor, to smarter less aggressive work styles. There isn’t a need to be close minded in leadership positions and people are able to freely leave organizations now based on benefits, personnel, and need. That wasn’t always the case. One article I read describes a way to create a culture fro all generations. They state “you want to tailor your generational bridge-building to suit the specific needs of your enterprise. For some companies, the need is more urgent than others. Take an inventory of where things stand and develop your plan accordingly” (Biro, 2013).

Why do you think that this has occurred?

I think this has occurred because of the experiences that different generations have had. For instance the baby boomers have gone through Vietnam, woman’s rights, civil rights, and rock and role. Generation X has gone through dual earning parents, high divorce rates (I link the two together) and a poor economy. Millennial’s have experienced September 11th, 2001, a better economy, and more diverse families (Scouts, 2014). Assuming that these events change generation’s perception on things such as business, leadership and personal interests, I would make the conclusion that people and generations are the way they are from those events. I do think that the rotation might be cyclical though. I think it varies with the success of the economy. Leadership is present always, in every environment but I think people gain the most knowledge from leadership through a bad experience. I would point out that people can recall good leaders too but I would imagine people often say to themselves “I don’t want to be like “______” because they were terrible to work with. So based on experiences and world events, our leadership and authority towards leaders is formed.


References

Biro, M. (2013, October 13). Five Ways Leaders Bridge the Generational Divide. Retrieved August 13, 2015, from http://www.forbes.com/sites/meghanbiro/2013/10/13/five-ways-leaders-bridge-the-generational-divide/

Obolensky, N. (2014). Complex adaptive leadership: Embracing paradox and uncertainty (2nd ed.). Burlington, VT: Gower Publishing Company.

Scouts of America, B. (2015, August 11). Unique Experiences Shape Generational Differences. Retrieved August 14, 2015, from http://www.scouting.org/Home/Marketing/Resources/MarketingResearch/UniqueExperiences.aspx


No comments:

Post a Comment