Saturday, May 23, 2015

A631.9.2RB_SeabournBeau

The first thought that came to me is that I would be like a square peg trying to fit into a round hole. In NeXT they spent an enormous amount of time brainstorming, projecting how and when they are going to fit into the market and a lot of time reevaluating their thoughts in company retreats. Steve Jobs was the facilitator and he was responsible for keeping everyone on track and directed at his projected future of NeXT. His team was made up of very intelligent people and people who knew his personality and knew how to deal with Steve Jobs. The team worked well together because they all shared the same goals and the all had worked together before.

Why I wouldn't fit in

The main thing Steve Jobs wanted the team to focus on was changing how personal computers were accessible to the higher education participants, whether that was the student or the teacher. He was trying to solve a problem. For me to feel accomplished and motivated, I must be part of a team that already has established the direction they are going to take. In the video they spent a lot of time trying to determine the course they wanted to take in order to achieve their success. I would probably go mad doing that. Secondly, Steve Jobs dictated the direction of the company. Although other people had input, he would often times change their thought path to meet up with what he saw as being more successful. I personally would have had a hard time there because although my objections and observations are welcome, ultimately it was left to Steve to make the decisions. Based on my characteristics, I need to get recognition and a lot of support for accomplishing tasks; I just don’t think that would have happened there.

Why I could have been successful

I could have seen myself being successful there in large part that this was a start up and the upside for recognition was immense. If the company succeeds, then I get some notoriety also. I also have been made aware that in order to be more successful as a leader I need to be able to be more open minded about being innovative. At the current moment, the idea of sitting down and figuring out complex solutions does not appeal to me. The NeXT team however could have given me the opportunity to explore my creative side and apply that to something that was new to the market place. Last, I think that having a newer start up like NeXT would have really allowed me to showcase my drive and initiative as a leader.

I personally feel as though I wouldn't have fit into the overall culture of NeXT. I do not thrive in situations where there is constant brainstorming, trial and error, and a dominant member vetoing my thought processes at every turn. I would feel out of place and useless. According to my assessment results, I am a tactical leader. Tactical leaders are self driven, assertive, and hard workers. Being self driven would have been hard to do when Steve Jobs keeps re-directing everything I think is successful. 

Reference

Steve Jobs Brainstorms with NeXT Team. (n.d.). Retrieved May 16, 2015, from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loQhufxiorM&feature=youtu.be  

No comments:

Post a Comment