Sunday, May 18, 2014

A521.8.4_SeabournBeau


So this is an interesting question that could be answered different ways based on what type of situation I am put in. Generally though, I do not have a problem making conversation with strangers.  With that said, I am also not the guy that will randomly talk to someone a lot in a short encounter. Here is an example; last week I was waiting for an elevator. While I was waiting a man just starting talking to me for no apparent reason about a non-related topic. I believe it was about the NBA playoffs. The reason I thought it was funny was because we only were waiting for that elevator for maybe 30 seconds. So am I that extreme, no. I would however strike up a conversation in the event that there may be some extended period of time I might be around someone or perhaps to break the silence of the room. Sometimes I find it very uncomfortable to have complete silence in a room. Most of the time I can't stand it and I swear I would talk to myself if I had to.

To the second part of this question, I think I'm able to adapt to a situation and talk to random people for a couple of reasons. First, growing up, I moved a lot. The constant school hopping and what not created the ability to get to know people quickly. Second would be that I don't like be ignored. I'm not sure why. I would prefer to sit and have lunch with someone and talk to them verse sitting alone and reading a paper. I'm not the guy on the plane in the seat next to you who is completely silent. We're going to talk. Making contact is not difficult for me. I have been known to use icebreakers, trust me there are many woman out there that laughed at me for that! Self disclosure is also something that I use a lot of. To be honest, I feel as though I'm pretty transparent. When my friends talk about finances or something like that, I'm totally open about everything. I read awhile back that if friends and peers shared information they deemed "personal" more often with one another, they would learn a ton! I feel as if I am open about things, people might feel like they can trust me and that I'm not trying to be a weasel. I think that it has to be an important leadership skill to approach people and get things started. After all, that's what leaders need to be able to do! LEAD!

No comments:

Post a Comment