Friday, February 28, 2014

A500.7.3_SeabournBeau

This week has been interesting and I have learned a lot more about quantitative research (QR). The first thing that QR represents are the "why" questions.To better understand a specific topic, a reader needs factual straight forward answers to questions. This can be done in a number of ways such as collecting data and then presenting results, like we did 2 weeks ago in our brief survey we conducted. The information we collect can then be easily transformed into some sort of digital indication or number. Data that is collected this way can be used to compare two groups of data and or for instance, two different competitors. There are some testing methods that we were taught about such as, sampling and response rates. The part that caught my eye this week was the indication that ethics play a role in QR data collection. In this class, we have not touched ethical situations that much but the fact that people in a leadership role need to mind their ethical decisions in QR intrigues me. My specific aspirations and goals do not directly fit into any type of QR scenario that I foresee at the moment. I would understand, however, the need to be able to collect raw data, turn that into a number and then distribute that information to colleagues or people who work under you. Having QR as a viable option in a leadership role creates another way to spotlight data and understanding of a specific topic or information set you'd like to help your business with. I think QR helps identify data and form conclusions. Sometimes though, the sampling sizes might be to large. In that case I understand how QR could be difficult. I would definitely keep this information in my back pocket as i move forward in any type of leadership role.

No comments:

Post a Comment